Bicky Corman has more than three decades of experience advising public and private sector clients in all aspects of energy and environmental law, litigation, and policy, including on matters ranging from traditional air, water, waste and toxics issues, to cross-cutting questions concerning international trade, or compliance with sustainability standards, and regulatory matters relevant to renewable energy providers.
Since joining the private sector in 2014, Ms. Corman’s energy clients have included electric vehicle manufacturers, rooftop solar installers, and an association of distributed energy resource providers in regulatory proceedings, including mergers and rate cases, before state public service commissions. Her environmental clients have included state, local, and tribal governments on complex environmental matters.
Before joining the private sector, Ms. Corman served as Deputy General Counsel to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency where she supervised the provision of legal counsel to EPA’s Washington, D.C. office and 10 regional law offices, and as the Senior Sustainability Advisor to the Administrator. Before that, she served as the General Counsel to the District of Columbia’s Department of Energy and the Environment. Ms. Corman’s additional government experience includes serving as a Trial Attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice’s Environmental Enforcement Section; as a Staff Attorney in EPA’s Office of Enforcement; as an Assistant Regional Counsel in EPA’s New York Office; and as a Legislative Assistant staffing Senator Frank R. Lautenberg’s work as the Senate EPW Committee’s ranking member on Hazardous and Toxic Waste.
Bar Memberships & Affiliations
District of Columbia (2008)
U.S.. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit (2017)
- Connecticut (2018)
- Mayorally-Appointed Chair, DC Sustainable Energy Utility Advisory Board
- Advisory Board Member, The Climate Museum, New York, NY
- Appointed to Mayoral Transition Team on Transportation, the Environment, Sustainability and Infrastructure, District of Columbia (2014 – 2015)
- Elected Co-Chair (2010 – 2012) of D.C. Bar Environment, Energy & Natural Resources Steering Committee
800 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 410
Washington, DC 20006
- Served as a legal consultant to a distributed energy resources (“DER”) provider in a proceeding before the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities that produced the first favorable ruling finding certain Solar+Storage systems to be net metering eligible.
- Successfully represented an association of DER providers in obtaining, with others, the first favorable agency decision rejecting utility claims of cost-shifting and a rate design that would have discouraged investment in battery storage.
- Secured a favorable schedule for a municipally-owned wastewater treatment facility to attain compliance with the terms of its new EPA-issued Clean Water Act permit.
- Served as environmental counsel to a state attorney general in a high-profile bankruptcy proceeding which resulted in the establishment of a $75 million environmental remediation trust.
- Obtained the first favorable Prop 65 Safe Use Determination from the State of California in more than eight years.
- Obtained the District of Columbia’s first eight-figure penalty in an environmental enforcement case.
- Authored the District’s $.05 bag fee.
- Author, “Massachusetts DPU Finds Certain Solar+Storage Net Metering Eligible in Tesla Action” (September 18, 2017)
- Author, “Mass. DPU Rejects National Grid’s Proposed Rate Structures” (October 5, 2016)
- Co-author, “EPA Proposes New Management Standards for Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals Rule” (September 14, 2015)
- Author, “How to Interpret the U.S. Supreme Court’s MATS Ruling” (July 8, 2015)
Selected Speaking Engagements
“Environment and Energy Policy in the Trump Administration,”The Wednesday Morning Group (April 6, 2017)
“New Developments in DC Energy,” Energy & Environmental Law Forum (July 8, 2015)
“Sustainability and Utilities,”Israeli Ministry of the Environment (December 18, 2013)
“Trends in U.S. Environmental Regulation and Enforcement – Law Trends: Citizen Suits,”Chinese Ministry of the Environment, December, 2012
“Building Markets for Greener Products,”Rio + 20 Corporate Sustainability Forum (June 17, 2012)