Innovate / Strategize / Solve
EKM Law, PLLC mission is to:
- Educate clients on the government development processes and objectives.
- Strategize on structuring of between private sector and the government.
- Develop solutions to impediments to public-private partnerships.
- Advise on laws that impact real estate developments and the environment.
- Draft agreements to create win-win solutions for its private and government clients.
Real Estate Transactions & Legal Representations
EKM Law, PLLC represents and advises clients on all aspects of commercial mixed use real estate transactions, including:
- Acquisitions and dispositions (in fee and lease)
- Retail leases and licenses
- Air rights
- Interests in and encumbrances against real property (easements, reciprocal easement agreements, covenants, Urban Renewal Plans)
- Transit oriented developments (including transactions involving FHWA approvals)
- Finance agreements, including traditional debt and equity financing, tax increment financing (TIFs), payment in lieu of tax (PILOT), EB5, low income housing tax credit (LIHTC), new market tax credits (NMTC), and historic tax credits (HTC), and the inter creditor agreements associated with financing agreements.
- Construction agreements
- District specific agreements (grants, donation agreements)
- Public space issues and permits
- Affordable housing agreements and agreements
- Legislative drafting
- Landuse and zoning entitlements
- Condominium Conversions
- Historical Title Research
- First Source Agreements
- CBE Agreements, compliance and structuring
Get the help you need on your real estate development projects.
EKM Law, PLLC can help you move your real estate project forward, including:
- Identifying, and formulating solutions to your real legal and practical issues
- Identifying litigation risks and strategizing ways to mitigate identified litigation risks
- Identifying the federal, state, municipal and District agencies needed to move your project forward
Get the help you need in your collaborations and projects with District and federal agencies, including:
District Agencies: DMPED, OAG, DGS, DDOT, DCRA, OCFO, DHCD, DOEE, DFEMS, OP, ANC, ABRA, OCP, OCA, DPR, DSLBD, DOES, ROD, MPD, DC Council, DC Archives, and the DC Surveyor.
Quasi-District Agencies and Multi-jurisdictional Entities: DC Water, Destination DC, WMATA, DCHA, DCHFA, and issues related to the dissolved NCRC, RLARC, and AWC.
Federal Agencies: EPA, DOE, DOJ, DOI (including NPS and FWS), DOC, NOAA, USDA, DOD, FEMA, DOS, USTR, HUD, GSA, CEQ, OMB, NSF, SBA EOP, HUD, FHWA, GSA, NPS, ACHP, CFA, NCPC and AOC.
EKM Law, PLLC represents and advises clients on environmental matters, including:
- Complex civil litigation in state and federal courts and before state and federal agencies concerning hazardous waste, water quality, air quality, NEPA and natural resource damages
- Federal, State, and International chemical exposure programs such as TSCA and FIFRA, California’s Prop 65, and the European Union’s REACH and PIC regulations
- Major administration initiatives, including free trade, tribal treaty rights, infrastructure development, regulatory reform, sustainability, and private standards development, such as LEED and EPEAT
- Municipal enforcement and compliance with stormwater management, energy efficiency, and waterfront re-development, and floodplain development requirements
EKM Law, PLLC represents and advises clients on energy matters, including:
- Rate cases, mergers, grid modernization and tariff proceedings before state and federal regulators; and
- State and federal net metering, SREC, QF and capacity programs
- Climate change, resilience, and cap and trade
EKM Law, PLLC is a Certified Business Enterprise (CBE) in the District of Columbia. Certifications include:
- Local Business Enterprise (LBE)
- Small Business Enterprise (SBE)
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)
- Development Zone Enterprise (DZE)
- Resident Owned Business (ROB)